[sewing] Octobre Blazer Sew-along with Gail – part 2

I’ve made some nice progress on my blazer the last couple of weekends.


After adding the muslin stays, I’ve added the ones that are supposed to be in hair canvas which I didn’t have. The under collar is done as well as the reinforcement for the shoulders and all the elements of the front.





Next step was to sew the vertical seams, press and take care of the pockets and all that’s done!

Front lapels folded

Front lapels folded

I haven’t checked what the next step is but it Sunday evening and in leaving it all for next weekend: week time sewing is rare and usually involves less complex parts.

[sewing] Octobre Blazer Sew-Along with Gail – part 1

I’ve been wanting to do a proper blazer for a couple of years now, I enrolled on the Craftsy class about tailoring and received the pattern that goes with it (Butterick 4610) more than a year ago. Last August, I finally traced the pattern pieces and made a muslin but that was it. I think I was too scared to start it so it was just lying there in the cupboard where I leave all my UFOs?

And then Gail announced that Octobre was Blazer Month and she was hosting a sew-along where she specifically talks about machien tailoring. I hadn’t heard about machine tailoring before, so I’m thrilled to see there is a line between classic hand tailoring and plain fusible interfacing. She has already published many detailed post – it’s a huge job! so if you want to start a blazer but you’re a little worried about the process, now’s the time to start!

Adding the muslin stays

Adding the muslin stays

Thankfully my muslin for Butterick 4610 showed no major fitting issues and the only modification I made was to (as usual) grade a size up from the waist to the hip. The shoulders still look a little wide, but the pattern calls for shoulder pads so I think they will make a difference. If not, then tough, it’s only my first proper blazer.

My outer fabric is a wool blend, some kind of twill weaving which show fine stripes of red and yellowy-orange. My husband did not sound enhusiastic about the colour 🙂 I haven’t chosen my lining fabric yet, but Gail said that she cuts it at the very last moment so I still have some time to go and buy some nice fabric.

So far, I’ve cut the outer fabric, and the reinforcements in muslin and in a heavier and very stable woven stash fabric as I didn’t have hair canvas. As this fabric has absolutely no mechanical give, it should do the job. I have also basted my muslin stays to the outer fabric. The next step is to do the machine tailoring on the under collar. I do all these steps in small bites, my daughter is getting better at letting me sew whilst she’s awake, but there’s always something to do to help her, dress her doll, bring her to the toilet, etc. I don’t think in the end I’ll  be able to say how long it takes, because it will probably be about 4698 times 10 minutes!